During the American wars he made considerable sums as a commercial agent in New York. He made extensive land purchases in the Cork area
His Cork business was based at Lapp's Island and his skills were recognised as he grew rapidly in fortune and was appointed to the City's Committee of Merchants. He was made a Freeman of the City in 1787. Among the business interests was a malting and warehouse complex at Ballinacurra on Cork Harbour in partnership with John Lapp, in the 1780s. In common with many Cork Merchants he was in favour of Union with Great Britain in 1800. Anderson's Quay in Cork is called after him.
He secured the equivalent of a Government franchise to provide a mail service from Dublin to Cork. This involved the building of an extensive infrastructure of roads bridges inns and staging coaches. By 1789 he was the dominant partner in the Dublin/Cork turnpike and mail and this was to extend to Limerick in 1793. The paramount achivement was getting from Dublin to Cork within 24 hours, the first Royal Mail arriving in Cork 8 July 1789.
He purchased lands in the Fermoy area in 1791 and responded to a British government demand for Military Barracks by offering to build to their order in Fermoy. The first Baracks was for 1400 troop and 100 horses and this was later increased to total 3300 men. Soon a vast military comples with workshops and ancillary services together with coach workshops were functioning
His Bank collapsed in 1816.